Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Price Wars















I was thinking about video games a little today... okay a lot actually, big shocker, and I was thinking about how Sony has lowered the price of the PS3. I mean it's $299 now and it's slimmed down and even sexier. I want a new one and I don't even need it. I was thinking about how it is only 50 bucks more than the Wii and it does so much more too. I mean it also plays Blu-rays, the games are bigger and better. But maybe the Wii is worth the $249 price tag. I mean we all know how awesome the Wii Fit is... oh, sorry I just vomited in my mouth a little, which is an extra 90 bones. For me it's not worth it. I feel Nintendo should drop the price to $149. So few games even come out for it that are even worth a damn. Here's sort of the strange thing though. The video game market place is no longer cotrolled by hardcore fans like myself and the two other people that read this blog. It's all about the casual market now. They are calling the shots. All of these new Wii owners aren't even aware that the prices of consoles change. They have no idea about the pricing wars of the past like the $299 PS1 vs. the $399 Sega Saturn. The Wii has been out for three years now. It's not like it's this technologially advanced machine that is costing Nintendo a ton of cash to make. They could easily lower the price. Will they? I don't think so. Why should they? There are plenty of 7 year olds that don't have one yet. Why not take advantage of them too? I guess I'm angry because I remember a time once when Nintendo did the right thing. They cared about the quality of the product that was being put out (anyone pick up recent releases like Carnival Games or Party Babyz). I stood with them through the "Dark Ages" of the Nintendo64 and the Gamecube. They have turned on me. It's all about the almighty dollar now. I don't kid myself either. I know it's always been about the money but before I feel like it was less obvious. So this Holiday season don't expect any gifts from Nintendo like a nice price drop. They are having a hard time seeing the light over their giant piles of cash.

-This post remembers a better time.

-Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment